I finally bought the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows after a long long time meaning to buy it but never finding an actual reasonable price, gladly amazon didn't screw me up this time and the book was imported to brazil safely and it is finally on my tiny evil little hands.
First of all, if you don't know what this book is I seriously recommend taking a look at their site, but to summarize, it's an avant-gardesque piece of literature that is structured like a dictionary but for words that don't really exist and describe niche and hyperspecific feelings that sometimes might look like a fringe and singular experience but that can be related by a lot of people.
Might seem weird at first but that is nothing new, specially with the internet people always making "relatable memes", I saw this lady on tiktok making a video about how being at a party and realizing you are happy now but won't be later kinda prompts you to stop enjoying it that much, which is a feeling described on the book as Kairosclerosis. There's also how the internet seems to have a fascination with liminal spaces that is described by the dictionary as Kenopsia. I still haven't reached the end of it since I'm taking my time reading, and sometimes opening on random pages to read random words, but so far my favorite one has to be the Inerrata, the feeling that even if you could, you wouldn't undo a big mistake in your life, because that would mean you would be living as another person. I'm glad that can be captured in a name, but at the same time, this isn't the first time I've met that concept. It's like seeing a kind stranger on the street and at a later date learning their name and profession, which kinda dismistifies that idealized vision you had of them, oh, wait, thats Aimonomia.
It is a very fascinating read and sadly one that might not be for everyone, still, if it interests you I do think you should read it. This was kinda meant to be a longer post but my brain is pretty fried rn (which shouldn't matter because no one is forcing me to post this at this time but here we are).
I'm glad I got this book since I'm working on a project for my next RPG rulebook that is based on theather play and the relationship between humans and their feelings and ambition. I'm using some of the things described by the dictionary to create specific situations and unique feelings that you derive from your in-game powers, it's looking awesome so far!(im autistic)
On an unrelated note, I made a notion site for a sign up forms for a new minecraft SMP me and my friends are wanting to join, sadly the archetype I wanted was closing just 24 hours before I decided to make my character so I had to rush the fuck out of it. I don't know if I made a good enough job with my character, I hope so, I wish I had more time to think about it.
I'm also having a lot of fun playing Dredge, it's a really cool game, I love fishing and eldritch horrors, the game has both :D I think I'm gonna make a fishing game sometime soon, oh and finish my carrd site which I have been procrastinating for almost a year at this point.
I also uh... got reprimanded by the school staff for walking on the grass with a camera in search of cool worms to take pictures of. I didn't know that was illegal ok chill im sorry dude geez...
no subject
on 2026-10-24 01:04 am (UTC)Thoughts
on 2026-10-24 03:14 am (UTC)I've been writing A Poesy of Obscure Sorrows inspired by some of those words.
"Kenopsia"
>> I'm glad I got this book since I'm working on a project for my next RPG rulebook that is based on theather play and the relationship between humans and their feelings and ambition. <<
That sounds awesome.
>> I also uh... got reprimanded by the school staff for walking on the grass with a camera in search of cool worms to take pictures of. <<
"Normal" people spend so much time obsessing over what not to do that they miss a lot of life.
You might be amused by the Worm Tier List video.